|1||Large||Onion, halved and thinly sliced|
|1||Sprig||Fresh thyme (or ½ t dried)|
|28||oz||Diced tomatoes, including juice|
|¼||Cup||Fresh basil, chopped|
- Sauté onion and carrots in oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables begin to soften (3-5 minutes).
- Add tomato paste, lower heat and continue to cook until paste begins to darken (don’t let it burn) about 1 -2 minutes.
- Strip thyme leaves from stem and add to pot along with tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down (10-15 minutes). Add 1 cup juice and 1 cup water and bring to a boil, then adjust heat so mixture just simmers – cook 5 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings (if tastes flat but salty enough, add sugar). Garnish with basil and serve.
Nutrition: Makes 4 servings (about 1 ½ cups each). 110 calories per serving, 2.5 g fat, 3 g protein, 16 g carbs, 4 g fiber.
- Add 1 T of curry powder or chili powder Or add 1 teaspoon smoked paprika along with tomato paste
- Add ½ cup of a grain such as rice, bulgur couscous or quinoa when add tomatoes along with an extra 1 cup of water.
- Filling soup for small calorie count
- Tons of lycopene from the tomatoes