|2||Medium||Onions, finely chopped|
|1||lb||Dried lentils, rinsed|
|2||Cups||Puréed canned tomatoes|
|6||Cups||Chicken or vegetable broth|
|1||T||fresh minced ginger|
|1||T||cilantro, chopped ( optional )|
|Salt to taste
1. Cook onions in oil until softened. Add garlic and lentils, stirring a few minutes to coat. Add remaining ingredients, except for salt and bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, until lentils are soft, about 40 minutes. Season with salt.
3. If you want a thinner soup, add more broth.
Nutrition: Makes 8 servings. 320 calories per serving, 2.5 g fat, 16 g protein, 43 g carbs, 20 g fiber.
Notes: I usually freeze half for another meal and\or freeze lunch portion sizes.
- Lentils are good for you – high fiber content and protein, filling food
- The indian spices are high in antioxidants as are the tomatoes